With all the talk about how the Mediterranean diet can help save the planet, I thought I'd join in with this little medley. Whether the planet is safer or not, my tummy is certainly happy!
Here is what I put together tonight, how always remember you can make it your own!
chiocciole pasta 100% durum semolina (and of course you can use a gluten-free option)
Extra-virgin olive oil
Red Pepper flakes (optional for Crohn's and Colitis friends)
Dried or Fresh Basil
1. Bring large pot of water to boil for the pasta. Pasta cooks between 8-10 minutes. If you're using rice noodles they tend to need a little longer.
2. Slice the vegetables into half moons, equal parts. Keep separate.
3. Heat large frying pan with a good amount of oil. You'll be using this as your dressing for the pasta.
4. Add onions first. Sizzle for 1 minute than season with sea salt. Add all your dry seasonings at this time. Flavor will cook into the onions and oil for a delicious taste. Be generous! Especially if you're not cooking for healing purpose at the time.
5. Add mushrooms and pinch of sea salt. Sauté for 2-3 minutes.
6. Add broccoli and pinch of sea salt. Sauté for 2-3 minutes covered.
7. Drain pasta when finished cooking and add to sauté medley. Better to cook pasta aldente as they will continue to cook during this step. I like to season with sea salt to enhance flavor here too. It's a crucial step to getting your dish from "okay" to "outrageous". You're taste buds to be the judge. And if you're using good quality sea salt, you have nothing to worry about.
8. Sauté pasta and vegetables together another 2-3 minutes to get flavors to mix, it's even better the longer it sits.
Serve with some smoked salmon and enjoy!